SWITZERLAND FLOWERS & PLANTS , ROSES
SWISS PRO JUVENTUTE STAMPS
TO FEATURE FAMOUS ROSES
The four Swiss Pro Juventute stamps to be issued on Dec . 1 will depict in full natural color four of the world's most famous roses as designed by noted floral artist, Anne Marie Trechslin, of Bern, after paintings by Redoute .
Roses seem particularly appropriate for the 1972 set, since it will be just 60 years since the first of these popular annual semi- postals have been issued to help raise funds for child-caring institutions.
Printed by Heliogravure on white stamp paper with a luminescent substance coating and violet fibres from two cylinders of 50 subjects each and identified as "A" and "B", the margins are inscribed with the names of the individual roses, the stamps: purpose and indications of value.
Values will be :
10+10 centime, the brilliant yellow "McGredy's Sunset;
20+10c, salmon colored "Miracle" ;
30+10o, dark red "Papa Meilland" ; and
40+20a, pale pink "Madame Dimitriu".
In addition to the stamps in normal sheets, the Swiss P.T.T. will prepare booklets, especially for the Pro Juventute Foundation. These will comprise panes containing eight 10+10c ; eight 20+10c, and four 30+10c stamps . These may be obtained from the Pro Juventute Foundation or the Swiss Philatelic Service Office,at six francs a piece, representing face value plus a 40o production cost.
First-day covers, with an official, engraved cachet and an illustrated postmark, both showing "Miracle" rose, and franked with the entire set of stamps,cost, 2 francs . Both of these and mint stamps are available from responsible stamp dealers, here, or may be ordered from the Philatelic Service Office, Parkterrasse 10, CH-3000, Bern, Switzerland.
As usual, 90% of the surtax will be given to the Pro Juventute Foundationand the remaining 10% to other national youth welfare programs of Switzerland.
The stamps will go on sale at all, Swiss postoffices on Dec . 1, and remain available until stocks are exhausted, but not later than Jan . 31, 1973 . If supplies last, they Will be on sale at the Swiss Philatelic Service Offices, in Basel, Bern,Lausanne, Lucern, Geneva, St . Gall, and Zurich . Only Bern will handle mail order! .